Other Nonimmigrant Visas (NIV)

NAFTA (TN Status)

Pursuant to the NAFTA treaty, citizens of Canada and Mexico may travel to the US for business or pleasure. If coming to work in the United States, the alien may enter for up to a period of three years at a time in one of several specifically designated professional positions. There is no limit on the number of renewals.

Professionals of Canada or Mexico may work in the US if (1) they are citizens of Canada or Mexico; (2) their profession is on the NAFTA list; (3) they are to work for a US employer (self employment is not permitted); and (4) they have the qualifications of the profession.

Foreign Students (F-1 Visa)

An F-1 visa holder is a foreign student who is enrolled in a full-time degree or non-degree academic program in the United States and who is in good standing. A foreign student must maintain a foreign residence and demonstrate his or her ability to pay tuition and expenses in the United States. An F-1 visa is issued for an indefinite period of time (duration of status) and it expires once the student no longer maintains full-time status. F-1 degree students may be eligible for work authorization called practical training.